What is the Adult Sailing Program?
- The Adult Sailing Program offered through the Kenosha Community Sailing center in conjunction with the Kenosha Yacht Club is an opportunity for individuals to learn the basics of sailing. The price is competitive and the fun unlimited.
- Student sailors will learn how a sailboat moves forward (and sometimes backwards) through the water and how to maneuver a sailboat in a variety of conditions.
- The goal is to become a confident crew member on 30 to 40 foot sailboats.
- 2 “Land” classes, 3 “on-the-water” classes and US Sailing’s book “Start Sailing Right.”
Want to know more?
Checkout the 2016 Class Schedule HERE
Learn to sailing on Magic this boat has a very colorfully history of racing on Lake Michigan. Currently, the boat is raced on Lake Michigan by members of the club. These members volunteer their time to make your lessons memorable!
On the Water sailing
- Following two weeks of classroom instruction, you and your crew members will be given the opportunity to practice those skills on the water.
- The initial meeting will take place at the Yacht Club at 5:30 p.m. to meet your “coach.” At this time you will travel over to the Southport Marina where your boat is docked.
- You will be guided on how to safely maneuver the boat in and out of the slip, power out of the marina and set sail. Boats will be returning about 7:30 p.m.
- All the boats used in this course are personally well maintained by their owners.
- All students and “Coaches” will be required to wear a life-jacket (PFD). It is recommended that you bring your own personal life-jacket. This insures your size and fit.
- Life-jackets will be made available to those who wish to wait to make such a personal investment.
- It is cool on the water so please bring a jacket or sweatshirt. Also, soft-soled shoes (white soles) are required.
- If there is no lightning we will sail – bring a rain jacket!
2016 Adult Classes Schedule
The first two “land” classes will be held at the Kenosha Yacht Club, 5130 – 4th Avenue. All classes will be from 6pm to 8pm. On the Water Classes could go later if the weather is nice.
May/Jun – Beginner Keel Boat Class
This course teaches the basic principles of sailing. Taught on Lake Michigan using sea-worthy sailboats with keels, you will become an active crew member after completing two 2-hour classroom sessions (6:00-8:00) followed by 3 on the water sessions (5:30-8:30). Curriculum includes terminology, knots, docking, rules of the road, sail trim and shape, crew teamwork, safety procedures, tacking/jibing, and downwind sailing. The five-session class start on Monday, May 19th Book included in cost of class.
Cost $150 preregister, onsite registration $175.
June – Intermediate Keel Boat Class
This course is a continuation of the Adult Intro class and builds confidence and independence through well-coached practice sessions. Curriculum includes helming and sail control, reefing, weather navigation, anchoring, motoring skills, safety and emergency procedures. In addition, this class comes with a promise to connect the student with a boat to crew on going forward!
Cost $175 preregister, onsite registration $200.
July – Adult Small Boat Intro Sailing class
A limited-enrollment, accelerated version of the Adult Small Boat Intro Sailing curriculum completed over 1 week. Four hands-on sessions on the dock and water.
Cost: $175 if you preregister, onsite registration $200.
August – Accelerated Beginner Keel Boat Classes
A limited-enrollment, accelerated version of the Adult Intro Sailing curriculum completed over 2 weeks. Four hands-on sessions on the dock and water. Book included in cost of class.
$175 if you preregister, onsite registration $200.
Sounds good? Check out the Sailing Lessons Calendar and register today.
- Kenosha Yacht Club
5130 – 4th Avenue Kenosha, WI 53140
- Sign -up early… Class sizes are limited